The College of Public Policy is located on the historic Downtown Campus of the University of Texas at San Antonio. We are in close proximity to more than 150 government, law enforcement, and nonprofit organizations that partner with us to offer internships to our students. Internships provide you with the opportunity to expose yourself to careers that match your personal and professional goals. Skills gained from practical experience will make you more valuable as an employee. Securing an internship is a fantastic way to establish critical networking connections with people who might be able to help you get the job you desire.
Note: **If you are a Criminal Justice student, not all internship opportunities shared by the College of Public Policy will qualify for credit toward your 150 hours for CRJ 4933. Please refer to your Internship Coordinator Chris Booker for guidance.
You may also view this page for current job postings.
State Senator José Menéndez seeks Spring 2020 Legislative Interns:
State Senator José Menéndez is seeking applicants for unpaid internships for the Spring of 2020 in the San Antonio Office. The Senator is looking for motivated, hard-working candidates that will be available part-time or full-time. College or High School credit is available.
Intern responsibilities will include answering the phones, greeting visitors, entering data in Correspondence Management System (CMS), researching legislation, general office duties, and supporting staff with community outreach projects and events.
Applicants must be proficient with basic computer skills and have excellent written and oral communication skills.
You may email or fax your resume and availability schedule to Judy Peterson at email@example.com or (210)733-6605.
U.S. Congressman Lloyd Doggett Seeks Spring 2020 Interns for San Antonio District Office:
Congressional interns are an integral part of the public service provided by our office (constituent services, community outreach; communicating with constituents, legislative work). Good communication, writing, and computer skills are essential.
Applications are being accepted now and will be considered on a rolling basis.
Those interested in an internship should submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls or drop-ins.
Intern in the Office of Congressman Joaquin Castro!
Applications for Winter/Spring must be received by Dec. 3
Visit https://castro.house.gov/how-can-i-help/internships to download an application
The following are paid part-time internship opportunities for the upcoming academic year. For more information about the internship program visit http://copp.utsa.edu/public-administration/current-students-public-administration/internships/ or contact Gina Amatangelo, Internship Coordinator email@example.com.
Students who plan to enroll in the fall internship course must receive an internship offer and submit the job description to the Internship Coordinator prior to the start of the fall semester.
Local Initiatives Support Corporation
This is a paid part-time internship ($14/hr). The intern will be responsible for attending housing commission and task force meetings, synthesizing information, reporting on progress and making recommendations. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Leilah Powell, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LISC—Local Initiatives Support Corporation—works with communities across the country to transform places and change people’s lives. LISC San Antonio collaborates with residents and partners to develop skills, invest in neighborhoods and drive policy changes that foster shared prosperity.
Mesa Police Department is hiring!
For more info visit, http://www.mpdjob.com
Surveillance Investigator – San Antonio, TX
PhotoFax, Inc. is hiring FULL-TIME filed investigators to cover the San Antonio, TX area.
- No previous experience is necessary; we provide all training and licensing
- PhotoFax also provides the vehicle and equipment needed to do this work.
- Full-time position with benefits including a matching 401k, paid vacation, paid sick time,
performance based bonuses and reviews, and paid overtime opportunities.
- Our investigators have used this experience to become law enforcement professionals on
municipal, state, and federal levels; upper management claims managers and special
investigative unit agents with major insurance companies; as well as case managers with
- To apply, respond with a copy of your resume to John Todaro at email@example.com or call (517) 423-9999
Fredericksburg Police Department Police Officer Positions
The Fredericksburg Police Department is currently accepting certified and non-certified applications for 5 Patrol Officer positions. This job posting will be open until the positions are filled. Applications can be obtained from the City of Fredericksburg’s website under the Police Department link www.fbgtx.org. Any questions can be directed to Sergeant Brian Vorauer at 830-997-7585.
Salary and Benefits
- Starting pay – $48,796 after 6 month probation
- Major Medical Insurance – provided at no cost to the employee
- Retirement – TMRS at 5% with the City matching $2.00 for every $1.00 contributed
- Life Insurance – in the amount of salary for one year at no cost to the employee
- Longevity pay – at a rate of $4.00 per month of service paid at the end of the year
- Holiday pay – 12 paid holidays per year
- Personal Leave – is accrued as follows:
- Hire – 8hrs/month
- 2-10 years – 12hrs/month
- 11-15 years – 14hrs/month
- 16-25 years – 16hrs/month
- 25 or more years – 18 hours/month
- Lateral Transfer Pay – Based on years of service
- Night Differential – $160 per month. Officers work nights 6 months out of the year
- Incentive pay – paid annually at the end of the year along with Longevity and employees will receive compensation for the highest of the following:
- Intermediate Peace Officer Certificate $500
- Advanced Peace Officer Certificate $1000
- Master Peace Officer Certificate $1500
- Associate Degree $1000
- Bachelor Degree $2000
- Education – City pays 70% of books, fees and tuition for officers wanting to obtain a degree at an accredited college.
- Gym Memberships – City pays for annual unlimited Gym memberships for all officers, and officers are permitted to workout 3 hours a week on duty.
- Equipment – City provides new officers with all equipment, duty weapons, and uniforms with the exception of patrol rifles and footwear.
- Take Home Vehicles – City provides a patrol vehicle for each officer. Vehicles may be taken home if the officer resides within 4 miles of the city limits.
Texas Department of Criminal Justice is hiring
The Texas Department of Criminal Justice Parole Division (TDCJ) is seeking candidates for the District Parole Officer positions.
- Bachelor’s Degree with preferred course work in Criminal Justice, Counseling, Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, or a related field and a valid state issued driver’s license.
How to apply?
To apply for a District Parole Officer position, applicants must submit the PERS 283 State of Texas Application for Employment, PERS 282 TDCJ Employment Application Supplement, and PERS 282C Statement of Availability for District Parole Officers. Other required documents are driver’s license, social security card, copy of official transcript, and DD Form 214, or Selective Service Registration Card, if applicable. The completed employment application should be forwarded to
Parole Central Human Resources Office, 8610 Shoal Creek Blvd, Austin, Texas 78757. The contact phone number for inquiries is (512) 406-5242.
For more information about this agency, please visit the website at www.tdcj.texas.gov. Click on the “About TDCJ” tab, “Division” and “Departments” and scroll to the “Parole Division” link.
Signal 88 Security is hiring!
Signal 88 Security is hiring reliable, career-driven people to serve as roving patrol officers. Great opportunity for those seeking law enforcement careers. Apply through their website:
Management level positions are available too.
San Antonio Police Department Job Openings
SAPD is always hiring! Join our family of leaders with an exciting career in Law Enforcement. Apply online at www.sapdcareers.com
The United States Capitol Police (USCP) is hiring!
The United States Capitol Police (USCP) is seeking individuals for sworn positions who display the upmost level of integrity. Please visit www.usajobs.com to view current USCP job vacancies.