COPP 2016-2017 Student Research Paper Competition Rules
• This competition is open to all graduate students in Criminal Justice, Demography, Public Administration, or Social Work programs. It is also open to undergraduate students majoring in Criminal Justice or Public Administration who will graduate in Spring 2017 or later. The competition is limited to papers submitted for Summer 2016, Fall 2016 or Spring 2017 COPP courses. Only papers sponsored by the faculty member teaching the class for which the paper was written will be accepted.
• Submissions are limited to papers related to scholarly research. This includes original research or reviews of existing research or literature. Thought papers or creative writing efforts are not appropriate submissions for this competition. Only one submission per student will be accepted.
• Submitted papers are limited to 30 double-spaced pages. Completed dissertations, theses, exit papers, and projects may be submitted only if shortened to this length. • Papers must be submitted by April 21 st, 2017. Award winners will be announced in May 2017.
• Winners will be chosen by a faculty committee comprised of representatives from each of the four COPP departments, judging on the basis of substantive merit and quality of writing.
• One award of $500.00 will be granted to a winner in each of the following categories: Undergraduate, Masters, Doctoral.
• Winners will be recognized by a letter and certificate from the Dean of the COPP, and publicized by the College.
• If warranted, honorable mentions may also be awarded in each category. Honorable mentions will be recognized by the College but will not carry a cash award.
Completed applications, including the research paper, are due in hard copy or electronically firstname.lastname@example.org to the College of Public Policy by: 5PM Friday, April 21, 2017